50% Filipino + 50% White = 100% Fresh Daily.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Summer Movie Marathon '10


So we have Netflix. With a Netflix memberhsip, obviously you receive DVD's in the mail and mail them back to receive new ones off your queue (list). Along with the DVD queue, you have an Instant queue, which is a list of movies you have chosen to watch on your computer, TiVo, Xbox 360, Wii, or some other Instant viewing device. The movies that you can watch instantly is limited to mostly old movies, classics, foreign films, indie films, and short films.

Lately I've been going on a movie rampage of films. So far I've seen indies like: The Vicious Kind, A Clockwork Orange, Mr. Holland's Opus, and Les Miserables. I highly recommend all of them except The Vicious Kind which was average. And A Clockwork Orange is a book, so if you plan on reading that first, don't watch it. And it will mindrape you. You will finish it and wonder what you've just seen. My reasoning for watching indies is because they have lower budgets and less effects so they have to be more creative with their limited resources. Therefore, when the movie is good, it is that much better.


In terms of foreign films, I've watched: Paris, Je T'aime; Un Chien Andalou; and Mongol. Paris Je T'aime is a French film with English subtitles made up of 18 five-minute films by notable directors. All of them share the common theme of Parisian love. Un Chien Andalou is directed by Salvador Dalí. Dalí=enough said. Mongol is a movie about Genghis Khan's beginnings in life pre-reigning Khan. It is extremely historically accurate, and filmed like a movie, not a documentary. It was nominated for Best Foreign Film Academy Award. It is in Mongolian with English subtitles and is the first of a trilogy about Genghis Khan. The second movie comes out later this year (2010).

All of this has further motivated me to become a movie writer. I've noticed that movies have systems that are intricate and would probably take experience to develop. One thing in particular I've observed is the occasional screen shot of the film that doesn't further develop the plot. I think those shots' purposes are to further exaggerate emotional statuses. I can't think of an example right now, but if I ever watch a movie with you, ask me about it and I'll point those shots out to you.

American Film Institute Conservatory, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment