50% Filipino + 50% White = 100% Fresh Daily.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hipster? Nah...


Recently I've been informed that I am partaking in the ever-growing hipster lifestyle. I have one question: how? I was sent the following link as a means of explaining how I'm a hipster, and I agree with a few of the points on there, but other than that, I don't see why I've been hastily labelled a hipster. I can understand the whole sarcasm and ironic part. I do have sarcastic proclivities but I don't see how I can be very ironic considering I don't fully understand what irony is. (Not to say I don't have any grasp on the concept, I just don't understand how it can apply to daily life) I also enjoy musical tastes that aren't very popular. But that's only because I enjoy broadening my tastes and talking to other people about music. I don't think that necessarily makes me a hipster. As for the hipster fashion, I don't think I am included AT ALL. First off, I have no money to fund a hipster's wardrobe, because if I were a hipster it would be the splurging and wealthy one, not the cheap and thrifty [ironic] one. Furthermore, I was under the impression that hipsters don't care about anything. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, I develop obsessions rather quickly. As my readers will remember, I have Anglophilia (obsession with Brits and Ires). I always thought hipsters were people who are aloof and just go wherever they feel like going and doing enjoy anything except music, sex, and drugs. Sure, I like music, but I'm not one for drugs, and I've never partaken in sexual acts, but I can imagine most people would dig sex if they had experienced it. Similarly, I thought hipsters were aiming to be individuals, not be homogenous to the rest of society. If this is the case, then I am not a hipster. I try too hard to be like other people to be a hipster. I am simply the result of the people I know and try to act like.


To conclude, Jack Kerouac has been labelled the original hipster due to his book "On the Road", which defined the Beat generation. However, it was recorded in an interview that Jack "hated the Beat generation". It wasn't about people who were going where they wanted and did whatever they wanted. It was about the era when people were beaten down (oppressed, if you will) by everything, so they had no choice but to do so. Second of all, the Beat generation was defined by his book as the 50's. Jack Kerouac simply got the book published in the 50's. The events in the book actually occurred in the 40's. So apparently Jack didn't even write about the era he defined. To connect this to hipsterdom, it has been stated that hipsters are simply a Beat revival. If I were to revive the alleged "Beat" generation (the 50's), I'd be doing the twist and listening to Elvis, Buddy Holly, and Chuck Berry. And I don't listen to any of those geezers.

Score
Hipsters: 0
Me : 100000

Wait... Don't hipsters blog? Damnit...

No comments:

Post a Comment