50% Filipino + 50% White = 100% Fresh Daily.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hoodlums and Hooligans


So today it was 37 degrees Fahrenheit so I was wearing three layers of tops. This include a tee-shirt, a sweater, and a hooded jacket. Because of the temperature, I was walking around all day with my hood on. I don't have a hat and I don't have ear muffs. The purpose of my hood is not to "look cool", it's pragmatic (functional) and serves the purpose of keeping my ears from freezing.

I don't like how when people see a person in a hood, they automatically stamp the label "hoodlum" or a "hooligan" on their forehead. Today I walked up to my teacher asking for a pass to the bathroom, and he said, "Whoa, be careful sneaking up behind me like that, especially while wearing a hood." He didn't have to say it, but I knew he was implying that hooded figures wreak havoc.

Also, while I understand that most people wear the hoods of their jackets for aesthetic (visual;stylistic) reasons rather than functional, the hood is added to the jacket so that way if one's head is getting cold, they can keep it from being cold to an extent. In my opinion, pragmatics (functions) beats out aesthetics (visuals;stylistics) every time. It insults me when people say, "You don't look cool with a hood on" or "Boy, you white, take dat hood awff" because they're implying that I haven't thought out why I'm wearing it.

Okay, maybe I do think it looks cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment