50% Filipino + 50% White = 100% Fresh Daily.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Monthly Update

WOW! It's been a while since I've last blogged. I've just had so much going on, whenever I'd look at the link, I thought "Ugh... Maybe later." But alas, later never came (that is, until now).

Anyway, I thought I'd just update you on my recent activities and periodic obsessions. They are fourfold: facial hair, music, parkour, and slang/composure.


So in fourth grade, I was the only kid in my classes with a mustache. People always thought I was older than I was. So you can imagine my frustration and surprise upon discovering how long it takes me to grow some fuzz on my chin. I've embarked upon a one-month trial campaign to see if I can kick-start this beard. I've decided to shave every evening after I shower for a month (well 4 weeks). According to a source that I can't recall, long periods of continuous shaving followed by abrupt stops in shaving produce massive amounts of facial hair. However, it's not the mustache I'm worried about; I yearn for the beard and sideburns to sprout from my cheeks and neck, even if it's just five o'clock shadow. I'll inform everyone how my campaign goes on March 24th, or day 1 without shaving.


Being an avid musician, it should seem unnecessary for me to blog regarding my interests in music, but recently I've developed new skills and acquired tastes in musical styles. I've been downloading more funk music and hardcore gangster rap. The funk music has inspired me to work on guitar soloing and learn new scales and modes for my band. I've had the measurable urge to jam with my boys. Regarding the gangster rap, I was browsing videos on YouTube and discovered some videos of people "freestyling", or rapping about a topic without having written or planned the lyrics beforehand. In school, in the car, and at home, I have more and more been creating freestyles in my head. Sometimes I'll spit a rhyme when I'm with some bros, but for the most part this spontaneous rhythmic poetry remains in the depths of my mind.


This may seem a bit odd, but again surfing the vast gallery of YouTube videos, I found many videos of this 'sport' or 'martial art' form called "Parkour". Parkour is basically the most complex and fun way to get from Point A to Point B. You run and jump and flip and hurdle over, under, between, through around, and off of objects. Obviously it can't be nearly as easy as it sounds, but I must admit it looks, for lack of a better term, epically badass. If I could find a spot with stairs and ramps and walls to practice such an activity, it might prove a handy ability to flaunt.


Okay, now I know what you're thinking: slang and composure? Yes, and as ridiculous as this may sound, I've been trying more and more lately to use terminology that is more "hip" and "with it", per se. Words such as dope, wack, fly, fresh, tight, sick, nasty, sick nasty, etc. In essence, words used on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Now that's covered. But composure you ask? To people who know me well, this will be hard to accomplish, but I'm making attempts to come of as more of an aloof and zen, if you will, person. I've been trying not to be so uptight and edgy. When I make such attempts around close friends, they ask me what's wrong. It would seem that I need to make the adjustment more gradual for them. Not only am I trying to alter my overall personality, I'm also trying to refine my wardrobe. I'm trying to get cooler trendier stuff. To sum this whole paragraph up, I'm bored with being me. Haha.

I suppose all of these interests are a lot to take up in a matter of weeks. In theory, all of this would be hard to achieve when you consider my workload from classes and whatnot, but then again there's always the weekend and I can do some stuff simultaneously, like freestyling with modern lingo while doing parkour and growing a beard in a new jacket.

I don't know, I haven't ironed out the kinks yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment